Sunday, January 7, 2007

Cue the harp


After 36 years of newspaper work, I'm ascending to the blogosphere, now the most welcoming and flexible medium for substantive discussion of "niche" interests such as classical music.

If you’re reading this, I assume you enjoy, maybe even need, classical music. If you don't, thanks for dropping by, surf on.

About the name of the blog: "Letter V" (as in "Virginia," not the Roman numeral) is the nickname sometimes attached to Haydn's Symphony No. 88 in G major.

Here’s what I propose to do in this space:

I will post reviews of classical concerts and opera performances in the Richmond area and selected events elsewhere in Virginia and Washington. As a rule, they will be online by the morning after the event. Occasionally I'll review performances from more distant points, posting those as soon as I can.

I will post monthly calendars of classical performances in Virginia and Washington. Listings will include detailed program information, how to order tickets by phone or online and links to presenters’ websites. I'll also post scouting reports (recommendations and comments) on the month's events.

Having been a reporter as well as a critic, I will probably "commit journalism" in this space. Breaking news, however, is not this blog's primary mission. I'm a semi-retired guy, not a news organization, and I don’t plan to spend all my waking hours at this desk.

As a blogger, I’m free to rant – some say I’m obliged to, or the blog won’t be sufficiently "edgy." I’m told I should provide readers a way to rant back. I’m not keen on doing either. I’m especially not keen on getting into keyboards-at-10-paces duels with other bloggers and axe-grinders. Life's too short.

So here’s the deal: I’ll say my piece. If you’re moved to respond, e-mail me. If your comment informs or enlarges the discussion, I’ll post it, with my response when appropriate.

Thanks for reading. More soon.